Thursday, July 10, 2008

Dreams of Spring: My Block Complete

I've finally finished up the finishing touches to complete my Dreams of Spring block! Here is what it looked like when it got home. Now I'm ready to sew it into a purse!
I coffee dyed this butterfly to rest upon the beautiful flower Clairee added. I also put a few pearls on the butterfly.
I added a vintage heart to Simona's lovely SRE rose motif. Also I added 3 purple pressed glass flower beads along the lace with gold seed bead centers and antique gold metal leaves.
I added 3 green and gold diamond jewelery spacers above Lyn's gorgeous rose lady.
I also added bits of vintage lace that I cut apart and rearranged and hand sewed down. On top of the vintage lace I sewed gold "flower" bead caps with pink crystal beads as well as some large green seed beads. Lastly I added a vintage broken jewelery rose to the center.
Here I added some vintage lace to the edge of the seam of the cream Dupioni fabric and on top of that I added 3 amber pressed glass flowers with cream seed beads in the centers and a pressed glass leaf bead.
To the heart I added some tiny purple pressed glass flowers with some gold seed beads in the centers. Below the heart I hand sewed on a bit of tatting that my friend TattingChic had sent me and in the center I added a mother of pearl heart that my friend Christina sent me from Hawaii.
In the lower right near Cobi's stunning bullion roses I added a Tatted Dragonfly that Charlene had given me way back before I even learned how to tat! I saved this special little dragonfly for just the "right" project and this was it! And I want to say that it is needle tatted!!! This I have to say is the most fine example of needle tatting I've seen and I cannot tell by looking at it that it was needle tatted rather than shuttle tatted. Charlene has a gift for creating needle tatting as fine as shuttle tatting.
I also added some fire polished pressed glass flowers with gold seed bead centers all around the dragonfly and I put in a little metal gold bee.
I hope you enjoyed the tour! Now I need to sew it up into a purse!

11 comments:

Wendy said...

Oh wow!!! It is so stunning. What awesome finishing touches you put on it. It definitely completes it so beautifully. I can't wait to see it in person.
Wendy

Unknown said...

So beautiful! I love all the little touches you added to it. The tatted dragonfly and the coffe dyed butterfly, and of course the round bit of tatting (LOL) all make lovely additions. What a very special work of art.

Melissa said...

Thank you Wendy and TattingChic!
I just love the purse now and the love using little touches of bits and pieces of treasures I've collected from friends on things that I will use and remember my friends. The nice thing about this block is the whole thing is a collection of memories from the block itself (being the first real CQ block I made) to each lady who added beauty in the RR, to my additions and bits from friends!

Bonnie said...

Wow, that is beautiful thank you for going over it for us. WOW!

LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

Wow Melissa, this is something you could stare at for hours and never get bored.

Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa, wow, I've been lost for so long... look at all you've done! In this work, as always, I like the flowers. But I also found very cute that vintage lace you added. The whole work is great, of course.

Anonymous said...

Melissa,
There are so many wonderful extras here! The goodies that you've added are just wonderful.
smiles,
alicia in Hawaii

Kathy Raker said...

Just beautiful! It was nice to see where you added the little extras to top off an already wonderful block. Of course I love the tatting and the coffee dyed butterfly. Never thought about a tan one. Just may have to give that a try. Mine have always been multi-color. Love the white rose on the lace too. Well I could just go on and on.

Anonymous said...

Melissa, your blog is now in my favorites!
thanks
Anne
http://quilt007.free.fr

Melissa said...

Thank you everyone! I've enjoyed reading all your comments!

Anonymous said...

You have amazing talent!You have inspired me and now I m gonna start learning CQ. Thanks for sharing.Also I am gonna put you on my blogroll that way I won't miss your excellent work you are doing.Thanks and God bless!